Churros are long Mexican fritters tossed in cinnamon sugar. This treat, warm and crispy from the fryer and tender on the inside, reminded us of one of our favorite breakfast items: French toast. Thick cut Texas toast takes a quick dip in a sweet egg mixture before getting crisped in a pan. It’s topped with a generous coating of cinnamon sugar to capture all the flavors and textures of the beloved churro. Next to crispy bacon, a drizzle of hazelnut-chocolate Nutella is the coup de grace for a breakfast-for-dinner that satisfies the sweet tooth in us all.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices of brioche or Texas toast
- 6 bacon strips (optional)
- Combine Nutella and 1 tablespoon of half and half (reserve remaining for egg mixture) in a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth and half and half is incorporated.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, then mix until incorporated.
- Combine egg, remaining half and half, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon sugar (reserve remaining for coating toast) in another mixing bowl. Place remaining cinnamon sugar on a small plate and set aside.
- If making bacon, arrange on a baking sheet and bake until crispy, 10-12 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. While the bacon cooks, start the French toast.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Dip the bread slices into egg mixture approximately 1 minute. Shake gently to remove excess, and add to hot pan. Cook each slice until browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- While still warm, dip the toast in remaining cinnamon sugar (reserve remaining for garnish), one piece a time. Transfer to a baking sheet, coated side up. Bake until French toast is warmed through, 3-5 minutes.
- Place bread in the egg mixture and allow each side to soak for approximately 1 minute.
- Halve the French toast on an angle if desired. Serve on a plate with bacon on the side (optional). Garnish toast with any remaining cinnamon sugar and drizzle with Nutella mixture.